Τετάρτη 27 Φεβρουαρίου 2013

Travel idioms !!




I am sure a lot of you would love to buy a ticket now 
and go to a place you  haven’t been before !!!

Because you also , like me , think that travel is the only thing 
that we buy that makes us richer …..

Because you also , like me , want to make 
memories all over the world …



But before we go to a new place , let's explore first 
a few idioms in english about travel.


backseat driver

A passenger in a car who gives unwanted advice to the driver is called a backseat driver.
I can't stand backseat drivers like my mother-in-law!



highways and byways

If you travel the highways and byways, you take large and small roads
 to visit every part of the country.
He travelled the highways and byways looking for traces of his ancestors.



my way or thehighway

It you say to someone 'it's my way or the highway', you are telling that person 
that either they accept what you propose or they leave the project.
You don't have much choice when someone says 'it's my way or the highway'.


hit the road

When you hit the road, you begin a journey.
It's getting late and we've got a long way to go. 
Let's hit the road.


make your way to

If you make your way to a destination, you manage to get there without difficulty.
Don't worry. I'll make my way to your home from the station.


sail close to the wind

If you sail close to the wind, you do something dangerous or act just within 
the limits of what is legal or acceptable.
He seems to invest his money well although he often sails close to the wind.


on the wagon

Someone who is on the wagon is no longer drinking alcohol.
No wine for me please - I'm on the wagon.


asleep at the wheel

If you say that someone is asleep at the wheel, you mean that they are not
 sufficiently attentive, especially at a critical moment when vigilence is required.
When the firemen arrived too late at the scene, the night watchman 
was accused of being asleep at the wheel. 




in the same boat

If two or more parties are in the same boat, they are in the same unpleasant 
or difficult situation.
When the factory closed down, the workers all found themselves in the same boat.


miss the boat

If you miss the boat, you fail to take advantage of an opportunity 
because you don't act quickly enough.
I managed to get my order through before the end of the
 special offer - but I nearly missed the boat!

Bad news travels fast.

Information about trouble or misfortune disseminates quickly 
(more quickly than good news). 




Let's travel to the world my friends !!!



Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου