Τετάρτη 22 Αυγούστου 2012

Some or any ?


Read the conversation below:
Barbara: Is there any milk left?
Katherine: Yes, there is some in the bottle on the table.
Barbara: Would you like some milk?
Katherine: No, thank you. I don't think I'll drink any tonight. Could I have some water, please?
Barbara: Sure. There is some in the fridge.
Barbara: Do you know anybody who comes from China?
Katherine: Yes, I think there is someone who is Chinese in my English class.
Barbara: Great, could you ask him some questions for me?
Katherine: No problem. Is there anything special you want me to ask?
Barbara: No, I don't have anything in particular in mind. Maybe you could ask him some questions about life in China. Is that OK?
Katherine: I would be happy to do that for you.
Look at the chart below:
SOMEWe use "some" in positive sentences. We use some for both countable and uncountable nouns.Example: I have some friends.
ANYWe use "any" in negative sentences or questions. We use any for both countable and uncountable nouns.Example: Do you have any cheese? - He doesn't have any friends in Chicago.
EXCEPTION!We use "some" in questions when offering or requesting something that is there.Example: Would you like some bread? (offer) - Could I have some water? (request)
ANYWe use "any" in negative sentences or questions. We use any for both countable and uncountable nouns.Example: Do you have any cheese? - He doesn't have any friends in Chicago.
SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, SOMETHINGWe use "some" words - somebody, someone, somewhere and something - in positive sentences. Example: He lives somewhere near here.
ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, ANYTHINGWe use "any" words - anybody, anyone, anywhere and anything - in negative sentences or questions.Example: Do you know anything about that boy? - She doesn't have anywhere to go.

Fill in the gaps in the sentences below with some or any, or some or any words (somewhere, anybody) .
Would you like ........... to eat ?
I have .............. money in my wallet .
Is there ............... juice in the fridge ?
He can't think of ................. to do .
Could I have ............. Coke, please ?
I'm afraid I don't have .............answers to life's questions .

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου